Friday, October 06, 2006

And Again

Profound apologies to all of you who felt abandoned by my long absence. Due to popular demand (Iain, Lindsey), I AM back and writing. Took you long enough to complain. *smirk*

Francis is back home in England right now. All of us here at Thom In Japan (mainly me) hope that he has an absolutely great time, and that he remembers to bring back some chocolate and tea for us. Rob and I promise not burn the place down in your absence.


I had an August post in the works, but September ended before I could get it up, so I'm hoping to have that up at some point. September itself was both good and bad, with many adventures taking place and a really difficult three days with my ever-patient girlfriend.

September is was actually pretty quiet following the busy August. Did a lot of walking around with my camera, taking pictures of random stuff that I know I'd wish I'd taken pictures of while I was here, as you've probably seen. Spent the 20th getting my ears lowered, then basking in a perfect late-summer afternoon in Noritake Gardens. Noritake, as some of you may know, is known for beautiful, delicate china; and, as I didn't know, was originally based here in Nagoya, about a ten-minute walk from my flat. They moved in the late Seventies, but the original site has been turned into a museum/gift shop/restaurant/visitor center/park (the Japanese are very good at multi-tasking). And the park is beautiful. It's amazing what a year and a half of little grass can make do to lower your standards and make you think an open area with actual green grass is beautiful, but that's where I am and I think it is. And it was a perfect day, so all was right with the world. The "Garden" features six "trimmed" smokestacks, originally used with the tunnel kilns where they fired the ceramics; a donors wall, listing the names of all the people who helped support the building of the park; and some bizarre artwork on poles, apparently designed by schoolchildren. Nice though.

Late September, Iain and I went to see the Chunichi Dragons, Nagoya's home team, play ball at the Nagoya Dome; which was an absolute blast. I haven't been to a pro ballgame since the Twins game (go Twins!) in June, and seeing the Dragons play was high on my list of things to do in Japan. And I good game it was: the Dragons took an early lead over the opposing Yokohama Baystars, who eventually caught up, and ended up taking the Dragons into nail-biting extra innings before leaving two men stranded in the tenth, thereby setting up a game winning double by Kosuke Fukudome to give the Dragons a much-needed victory. Ace time all around. More photos of the game here.



Okay kids, it's bed time two hours ago. The work week has begun again, and I just haven't adjusted my sleep schedule for it. Again. More news/photos forthcoming, which, I know, you'll believe when you see it. Patience, my friends.

-thom (still) in japan

3 Comments:

At 1:43 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I went out with some folks from Minneapolis in Seoul this weekend. We played a little drinking game in a dark, empty bar on Thursday night and there was a lot of Go Twins yelling. It made me think of you. Hope all is well.

 
At 9:23 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey there, it's Francis.

I'm having a great time. Just thought i'd leave a quick message before I go out for a Sunday roast dinner. Everythings great, I'm taking lots of photos like i'm a tourist. I'll definately not forget to bring you something English back. My accents already gone back to normal so you might not recognise me when I get back.

Don't trash the house and I hope Rob remembered to work for me today.

Love to all.

 
At 11:35 AM, Blogger re:becca said...

yay! you're back!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home