Monday, June 26, 2006

At home, part 1

Well, things are going well at home; the sister graduated without incident, other than the graduation being indoors due to rain. It's quite peaceful here, I spent yesterday afternoon in the "backyard" - all six feet of it - reading Hemingway and trying to get myself unpale. The former was great, finished "Fiesta", and the latter was successful - I went from translucent white to painful pink.

I do not tan.

"Home" is truly wonderful. Flying into my hometown, I was amazed by how green everything was. The air smells like soil. There's a small stream that runs behind my parents' house. Even sitting on the back porch reading, with the cat sitting on the railing, while it drizzles down rain, is peaceful. "Home" is what Japan is not: natural, green, cool.

And I miss Minensota. I miss my friends and family there; I miss coffee and books at Anodyne; I miss sunshine on Minneapolis and the food market on Nicollet Mall on Thursdays.

And I will be there on Tuesday!

But I still miss Japan; I miss being at the river with Jo and Iain and Fi; I miss playing darts at Ele's Nest with Francis; I miss the amazing strangers at Misfits every night of the week.

And I will be back in just over a week.


It's hard being homeless.

1 Comments:

At 8:24 PM, Blogger cunningruse said...

I understand completely. If I were you I would pine for us too. :)
Fi.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home