Sunday, December 04, 2005

Rumbles

There's a whole lot of shakin' in Shinguku. Tokyo is definitely the center of Japanese culture AND earthquake activity! We've had two good-sized earthquakes in the past day, 5.4 and 6.3 on the Richter Scale respectively, and even a few aftershocks.

But don't worry, I'm safe and sound; I found out about said quakes from the TV, which not only offers information about the quakes (in Japanese, of course), but will even display it over "Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets" (which is what we were watching at the time).

In other, semi-related news:
I saw "Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire" on Tuesday. Now, I've still never read any of the books, claiming literary pretention, but I really did enjoy the movie. Maybe it's because I've now seen a whole TWO movies while in Japan, but I thought this one was really good! Up next: "Mr. & Mrs. Smith". Any takers?

In other, completely non-related news:
I bought a Christmas tree today. It's approximately eight inches tall and of unknown type, though I'm thinking there's probably a family connection to the tree purchased by Charlie Brown in "Merry Christmas, Charlie Brown". Now all I need to find is a foot-long string of lights and a wooden 'x' for the base.

Also:
I've started a little project yesterday: I'm helping a student edit a brochure for his business. He owns a guitar amplifier repair shop here in Nagoya and wants to be able to exchange information with international clients, so he needs a brochure in English. Enter the rusty copywriter.
This might just become my side job. Hopefully.

There has been lots of talk among students recently of Year-End parties, which, combined with the impending Christmas and New Year holidays, is of course is getting me into the contempletive/reflective mood, and some of you know that that usually involves some depression, but usually ends up with a deep realization and appreciation that, hey, it could be worse: I could be in Nebraska. This year has definitely been an interesting one, and the real trick will be trying to make fit into a "nutshell".
Keep an eye out for the e-version of "The Christmas/New Year's/Presidents Day Letter". It should be out by June.

4 Comments:

At 1:09 AM, Blogger LoWriter said...

"It could always be worse. For instance, you could be ugly and work for the Post Office."

I can't remember who said it, but I love it.

Lo

 
At 2:07 AM, Blogger Thom said...

"Hey, it could be worse. A woman could cut off your penis while you're sleeping, and throw it out the window of a moving car."

"Well, there's always that."

From 'Fight Club', which I picked up in paperback today. I think that's my third copy in two continents...

 
At 7:03 AM, Blogger Danika said...

Or, you could be the guy who has to scrape and move every car at a dealership in -20 degrees. Damn. And while you're doing that, you could be in Nebraska.

- D

 
At 3:41 AM, Blogger LoWriter said...

Nebraska... Your hamburger has to poop somewhere.

Lo

 

Post a Comment

<< Home