Wednesday, November 23, 2005

Response to Iain's Comment

(For those of you not in the know, Iain posted a comment on my last post. I thank him very much for it. You, too, can leave comments there; I appreciate all the feedback I can get.)

Tonight, on an invitation from Iain, I headed up to Inuyama for what will hopefully be the beginning of a musical endeavor, the likes of which the Japanese have never seen. More likely, what the Japanese will see will be two gaijin with guitars in a bar in Imaike, once. But hopefully not. (Timmy: do you think you could use your wonderful post-ownership influence to "suggest" a "showcase" of an "up-and-coming new band" to Joe? After we write songs of course.)

Anyway, tonight was kind of a precursing (ahem) to some songwriting; with various influences tried and tunes tested. Good times. We played until our fingers were sore. Afterwards, we decided to try a local remedy for sore guitar fingers: beer. We headed out to Iain's local for a round, and a game of darts. It worked: sore soon fingers were forgotten, and Kei's wall had a few new holes in it. [I also won the game, barely, and in large part to great generosity on my Scottish comrade's part.] I'd brought my guitar with me to facilitate an easier departure, so we took turns playing a few more songs at the bar. (Well, Iain played most of the songs, since he can actually play the guitar; I mostly just looked sidekick-y and sang a bit.)

This actually may have counted as our first bar gig, as we were each given an orange by an appreciative young woman at the bar. Or maybe she thought that we'd be quiet for a bit if we ate oranges. Either way, she filmed a little of our performance on her cameraphone for posterity (yay for cameraphones). You should be able to find it online soon: just Google "crazy gaijin music video".

-

Seriously though, for all of my "smartness", I really am excited to be working on some music again. Iain's a great musician, and hopefully we can get a few songs written soon, and maybe even a show or two in. And, as the Scot said earlier, "We'll be huge on the Indie scene. Hell, we'll BE the Indie scene!" Nagoya - nay, Japan - will never know what hit it.

Rock and roll.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home