Friday, December 23, 2005

Aftermath

Well, today turned out to be a nice, pleasant March day; the temps were in the mid-30s, and the six inches of snow we got have melted into three inches of slush. I woke this morning to the machine-gun sound of snow chains on pavement and the frantic packing sounds of my roommate as he prepared to head back to the States for Christmas. (Devin, you lucky bum, I hope you have a good time. If you could bring me back some Reese's Peanut Butter Cups, I'll owe you big time.)

In addition to being an unofficial spring day, today was also a national holiday - Japanese Emperor Akihito's birthday. The Emperor, while no longer looked at as diety nor having any real governing power, is still considered "not like the rest of us, more special than us" by at least one of the students at Imaike. So today was slow - I had two empty classes out of the five I teach on Fridays. And because it was a holiday, my trip to Freebell to turn in the required documents for our move-in was entirely unsuccessful.

BUT, I got to take a little walk through Nagoya, eat a cinnamon roll, and take a nap this afternoon; so it wasn't a complete waste. It's amazing how a nap can improve a day.

Happy Christmas Eve Eve.
-t

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home