Tuesday, August 16, 2005

Earthquake

Hey all,

My mother informed me that "now would be a good time for a 'I'm-okay-the-earthquake-in-Sendai-was-well-north-of-me' post", so here it is: The earthquake today, which measured over 6 on the Richter scale, was centered off the coast near Sendai, and I've suffered no ill effects. There was also, as far as I know, no tsunamis reported after the quake. Sendai is located north of Tokyo, which is, in turn, located north of Nagoya; for some idea of distance, it takes about an hour and a half to get to Tokyo by Shinkansen, i.e. bullet train. And Sendai is north of there.

One of my roommates reported feeling a minor tremble this morning around the time of the quake, but personally I think he's just full of it, and was joking around.

Sendai, as some of you know, was actually the city that I was originally thinking of going to, and was my second choice on my application for Nova. Fortunately, the need for Nova teachers in Nagoya was much greater (and still is), so I was placed here. Though I WOULD like to go visit Sendai at some point, maybe in the "off season"... =)

All of the teachers I've talked to, who have been here longer than 8 months have been through some level of earthquake; the vast majority have been "Oh, so that's my Japanese earthquake. Cool" experiences. No big deal; life goes on. Though my students tell me that Nagoya is overdue for a little seismic shakin'...

On another note, I might go surfing next week! G'night!

-thom

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home